Phoebus Dokos wrote:
> Well yeah... indeed in the US PCs are more expensive than in Europe, but
> you're forgetting that a PC is not only a case and a motherboard. It's
> memory, it is hard drives, CD/DVD/CDR/W, it's sound cards,  it's monitors
> and it is SOFTWARE.

Of course I did include all these things in my calculation, except the
monitor. But by using a less expensive graphics card I think one could
squeeze some standard 17 inch ones for every PC in.

> With a Q40 solution you are off to work right off the box and your
> specialized software needs are minimal or the software is free anyways!
> Only Windows cost me 249$! (And I know Windows ME in Europe costs EXACTLY
> the same as in the US for the Full version... now for the 3 PCs you said
> above that's 750 $ right away!)

No, it isn't. You're talking about retail prices. But as with SMSQ/E,
which is, as far as I know, also included in the Q40 price, software
tends to be cheaper when bundled with hardware.

> Not to mention the other programs. Do they cost as much on a QL.? Of
> course not.

You can get almost everything you need for free.

But anyway, I am NOT suggesting that buying a PC just for QPC is a
better solution than buying a Q40 or anything (or did I write that
anywhere? I don't think so). At least not if you don't use the other
features a PC can which a Q40 can't. I just considered your
calculation to be quite weird, because you really can get 3 PCs for
the mentioned price here.

> (Unless you say that programs shouldn't be bought.... well that's another
> story.). However you look at it the combination is still cheaper with a
> Q40. A LOT cheaper for comparable performance.

I say you can't compare them. Harldy in performance but even less in
price.

Marcel