"Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)" wrote:
> My personal plans for SMSQ/E concern my (unfished yet) multilingual
> keyboard driver, greek language module (ready needs to be tested with the
> latest SMSQ/E), an independent driver for the Aurora for 16 colours and to
> help Daniele Terdina with adapting the SMSQ/E for the GC to his QemuLator
> according to his specs. Of these I plan to submit to the source tree
> everything but the driver which I will make available as a hack to anyone
> that wants it as I plan on using the code elsewhere and I want it GPLd
> which clashes with the SMSQ/E license.

Nobody is stopping anybody from releasing a piece of code under 2
licenses.

> But it is my personal choice after all as much as it was Marcel's choice
> for example to release the Aurora driver as a "pay-per-view" (hehe nice
> term isn't it?).

QPC earnings have for a while cross-financed my other developments
from which all platforms (especially the Qx0) profited. Now they are
effectively down to 0, it has been on the market for over 8 years,
everybody who wanted it has it by now. You could see this Aurora thing
just as a rather desperate attempt to raise some funds to justify my
further involvement into the SMSQ/E development. I demand 15 EUR per
Aurora driver, which I think is a moderate price considered the time
spent on it (by the way, much of the work went into the part that
actually got back into the open SMSQ/E source tree. You'll be grateful
once you actually do the 16 colour driver, you won't have to invent
that wheel again). Only this week I spent a whole day fixing SMSQ/E
for SGC (the "QubIDE" problem which in the end wasn't related to
QubIDE at all) although it was not my code that was at fault. In fact
it was just luck that it ran most of the time at all.

In conclusion, free beer is nice, as long as you're not the publican.
At this point I'd like to thank the one person who actually gave a
donation.

This just to clear things up regarding my motivation. I personally
would like to give everything away for free, but that doesn't pay my
bills.

> As for Wolfgang's comments I would respectfully disagree. As I said
> earlier it's anyone's choice how much they value their principles.
> Maybe Peter (and I do not speak for him rest assured) doesn't want
> to waiver from his principles and he thinks that the license is of
> the utmost importance.

Well, Peter sells hardware, of course he wouldn't mind the software
being totally free. I sell software, I wouldn't mind getting the
hardware for free, but that usually doesn't happen either ;-)
I think this pretty much sums it up.

Marcel

  • ... Peter Graf
    • ... gwicks