Martin Staael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 3 February 1999 at 15:00:35 +0100

 > Our customers will always use another ISP for dial-in, or have a direct
 > connection. But we will still have to provide them with a SMTP server, that is
 > the reason for the needed open-relay.
 >
 > So we can't tell our customers to use another mail-server (SMTP) - and this
 > would often be confusing for many customers.

You can try to fight this one if you want, but it's going to be
trouble.  If you leave the relay open, spammers will find and use it.
Eventually, you'll end up on the RBL and the ORBS blocking lists, and
your customers will find they can't communicate very many places.  You
can't win this fight, I'd recommend you take the clever step of not
getting into it.

If your users are too ignorant/lazy/unreliable to reconfigure to use
the servers approrpiate to where they're dialed in through, you might
look at some of the smtp-after-pop solutions (patches) available on
www.qmail.org, whereby an authenticated POP session is used to open
relaying to that same IP address for a time period.  This gives you
much of what you want without leaving you a fully open relay.
--
David Dyer-Bennet                                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ddb.com/~ddb (photos, sf) Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon