Text written by Martin Staael at 02:30 PM 2/3/99 +0100:
>Sam,
>
>At 13:17 03-02-99 +0000, you wrote:
>
>>Read the FAQ, and turn off your open relay.
>
>I know how to turn off my open-realy. But I need a open-realy - or our
>customers is not able to send mail through us.

No, you do not. What you need is a *selective* relay, which will allow only
_your customers_ to send mail through you.

An *open* relay, which will allow _anyone_ to send mail through you, will
eventually be discovered and used by spammers and land you on a blackhole
list.

Really, read the FAQ. It tells you how to set up a selective relay.

                             Kai MacTane
                         System Administrator
                      Online Partners.com, Inc.
>From the Jargon File: (v4.0.0, 2/1/1999)

steam-powered /adj./

Old-fashioned or underpowered; archaic. This term does not have a
strong negative loading and may even be used semi-affectionately for
something that clanks and wheezes a lot but hangs in there doing
the job.