Matt Garrett writes:

> Look. I very much doubt that Martin Staael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> REALLY
> wants to run an open relay. What most ISPs want to allow are

Actually, he thinks he does.  As I mentioned earlier, usually there's an
inquiry of this kind about once a month on this list.

These organizations provide either web hosting, or other non-dialup
services, and they do not maintain any dialup facilities on their own.
Their clients have their own dialup accounts with separate ISPs.  For some
reason he believes that his clients cannot use the mail relays from their
own ISPs, and are required to use his.  Either that, or he does sell dialup
access, but believes that his clients should be allowed to access his mail
servers from other ISPs.

What these people are not realizing is that this business model is simply
no longer compatible with the way that the Internet is right now.  This
kind of a setup - open relaying for everyone - might've been acceptable and
the norm some time ago, but these days, it no longer is.  They can't expect
to enforce their own business model onto the rest of the Internet, they
must somehow fit their business model within the established guidelines and
requirements, that's it.  There are many technical solutions available that
will allow his customers to authenticate themselves, and he should simply
choose the best one for his situation.