On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 11:36:56PM -0400, Russell Nelson wrote:
> D. J. Bernstein writes:
>  > Say you have a bunch of mboxes. You choose filenames for them. Of
[...]
>  > Now change each mbox to a maildir. Whatever filenames worked with mbox
>  > will continue to work with maildir. You now have a bunch of maildirs.
>  > What exactly is the problem?
>
> IMAP permits the name Mailbox/2.  Feel free to argue that that's
> stupid.  It's just a drop in the bucket of stupidity which is IMAP.
> Did I say stupidity?  I mean another word beginning with s.

Is the concept of subfolders stupid?  IMHO: no.   Given: millions of
Microsoft users are wrong.  But not on this point.

I feel it stupid that a standard for implementation of a valid and useful
concept for organization of mail can not be agreed upon, or even discussed,
beyond dismissal as 'stupid'.

MUA authors are free to implement such things.  And they will.  A standard
would help them achieve cross-compatibility.  Er, would help us.

Randy