Quoted from Adam McKenna [15 Nov 2000]:
> Not to mention that the whole point of freeware and open source software in
> general is to give everyone the ability to audit the software, not just a
> select few.

I agree with the general statement, but neither qmail nor djbdns are
open source (I don't know the definition of ``freeware'', so I'll
leave it alone). I believe (without further justification) that a
piece of software without general modification permissions does not
really inspire improvement from the general public.

At http://www.technocrat.net/974143798/974162475/index_html we have
this nugget from Bruce Perens:

   It happened to me once - I was an early tester for Qmail, and then DJB
   pulled his wierd license thing on the release. Now, I am more careful.

A non-free software licence also deters people from looking at the
source, for fear of tainting their own free software projects.

        ---Chris K.
--
 Chris, the Young One |_ but what's a dropped message between friends?
  Auckland, New Zealand |_ this is UDP, not TCP after all ;) ---John H.