On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 10:26:28PM -0600, Bruce Guenter wrote:
> I've been contemplating rewriting the patch to do an exec of
> { "/bin/sh", "-c", $QMAILQUEUE } instead of exec'ing $QMAILQUEUE as-is.
> This would allow for putting the contents of the script named by
> $QMAILQUEUE (which is frequently a one-line shell script anyways) into
> the variable itself.  Are there any downsides to this approach other
> than the obvious overhead of adding /bin/sh to the execution path?  Is
> this overhead significant enough to make such a modification a bad idea?

Given that the same thing is currently done by writing a one-line shell
script, I really can't see the advantage given the extra overhead...

I've had several occassions with other products where I have the opposite
problem. They allow you to call "/bin/sh -c 'program arg1 arg2...'", and I
find it doesn't work as expected. So I end up writing one-line shell scripts
and call that instead :-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar

Unix/Special Projects, Trimble NZ
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417