Lars Hansson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
>*ring*
>*ring*
>- "Hello, Joe's Car Service. How may I be of service?"
>- "Ah yes, it's my car. It doesn't start"
>- "Ah, I see. What make is it?"
>- "Oh well, I'm afraid I can't tell you that"
>- "Uhmm...why not?"
>- "Well, you never know. So many car thieves these days. You might find out
>where it is and come and steal it"
>- "We would not do that sir. We're a respectable company"
>- "Well, I can not know that for sure..."
>- "Aha. So, can you give us your address so we can come and have a look at
>it at your home then?"
>- "Heavens no! You might rob my house at night if I tell you where I live!"
>- "Oh well, I'm afraid we can't help you then, sir"
>- "WHAT!! WHY NOT! I'm only asking for help"
>- "But sir..."
>- "YOU ASSHOLES"
>*click*

And then there are these two conversations that took
place in Dallas, Texas. Late 1999.

First call:
*ring*
"Hello, Joe's Car Service.  How may I be of service?"
"Ah yes, I need someone to pick up my Chevy Suburban
 at 1234 Anystreet, it won't start this morning.
 I'm taking a cab to work."
"Ok, sir.  We'll take care of it.  Goodbye."

Second call:
*ring*
"Hello, Joe's Car Service.  How may I be of service?"
"Hi, I called this morning about the Chevy Suburban.  Did
 you have any luck with it?."
"Uh, sir.  We thought you got it started and took it
 on to work.  It wasn't there when we went to pick it up..."

CAUSE: Someone had tapped into the car shop's phone
line and beat them to the address.  3 vehicles THAT DAY!
Of course, after getting to the 3rd address and NO vehicle,
they started getting suspicious.

MORAL OF THE STORY:  Don't EVER think it can't happen to you.

I know, I know.  You have to give out enough info to get help.
But some people are a little more cautious than others.  Remember,
they DON'T know YOU.  And with all the inflated news propaganda
about the Internet and how people can "steal you blind", we should
at least understand someone's reluctance to just "spill it all out"
in a public group.  In any event, Robin's attack on these individuals
accomplishes NOTHING.

But then again, I'm sure that doesn't surprise anyone on this list.