I'm sitting on a T-1 and the DNS is not a problem.  After
compiling, when ./config runs, every time it tries to do
something it says "no such file or directory".  Following your
suggestion, I tried config-fast and had the same results.

I've got Life with Qmail printed out in its entirety and have
been following the installation instructions step by step.  I
also have the Blum book "Running Qmail" and have also tried his
step-by-step instructions.

I do get a compile, but after the compile there is NOTHING in
the /var/qmail directory.  After running config or config-fast
there is still nothing in the /var/qmail directory.

I realize I must be doing something fundamentally wrong here,
and I promise you I would not be bothering this mailing list had
I not first spent hours in front of the server, read through the
install instructions in complete details, and reloaded the
server several times.

So, I'm stumped.  Why is config (or config-fast) unhappy?

-Steve

> > I'm attempting to set up qmail on Mandrake 8.0. I do create
> > the /var/qmail directory, but when qmail compiles nothing
goes
> > into this directory. Of course then when you run ./config it
> > barfs because it can't find certain things in /var/qmail.
Yes,
> > I'm logged on as root.
>
> config does not fail because of anything in /var/qmail;  it
fails if it
> can't find your server's name in DNS.  Use config-fast instead.
>
> > Also, when running the IDS script, I can't see that any
> > directories were created in the /var directory either.
>
> 1. IDS is not a script that's included with qmail.
> 2. if you did create a IDS script off of INSTALL.ids (a la
LWQ), it
> doesn't create any directories anywhere.  It adds user
accounts and groups
> to your system.
>
> > I've reloaded Mandrake 3 times from scratch and it's still
doing
> > the same thing. Also tried gcc instead of cc and it makes no
> > difference.
>
> none of these things have anything to do with installing qmail.
>
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> you need to read and understand the various INSTALL. files
included with
> your qmail distribution.
>
> > BTW, the /var directory resides on a separate physical drive
in
> > the machine - a Linux RAID 1 (mirror), to be precise, so
there
> > are two drives in fact. The /var directory shows up nicely
and
> > is perfectly accessible. I can't imagine this would be
creating