I have the same question about ownership/permissions for all of /var/qmail
directories and files. I made some changes manually, but am very
uncomfortable with my current settings.

When I first got into qmail, I thought that making the custom qmail accounts
were part of making it bulletproof, but there doesn't seem to be much
requirement to keep things from being owned by root.

$ cd /var/qmail
$ ls -las
total 68
   4 drwxr-xr-x   12 alias    nofiles      4096
   4 drwxr-xr-x   18 root     root         4096
   4 -rw-r--r--    1 qmails   qmail          24 .bash_logout
   4 -rw-r--r--    1 qmails   qmail         230 .bash_profile
   4 -rw-r--r--    1 qmails   qmail         124 .bashrc
   4 drwxr-sr-x    2 alias    nofiles      4096 alias
   4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root     qmail        4096 bin
   4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root     qmail        4096 boot
   4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root     qmail        4096 control
   4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root     qmail        4096 doc
   4 drwxr-xr-x    6 root     root         4096 log
   4 drwxr-xr-x   10 root     qmail        4096 man
   4 drwxr-x---   11 qmailq   qmail        4096 queue
   4 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          212 rc
   4 drwxr-xr-x    6 root     root         4096 supervise
   4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root     qmail        4096 users
$ ls -las supervise
total 24
   4 drwxr-xr-x    6 root     root         4096
   4 drwxr-xr-x   12 alias    nofiles      4096
   4 drwxr-xr-t    4 root     root         4096 courier-imap
   4 drwxr-xr-t    4 root     root         4096 qmail-pop3d
   4 drwxr-xr-t    4 root     root         4096 qmail-send
   4 drwxr-xr-t    4 root     root         4096 qmail-smtpd

$ $ ls -las /service
total 8
   4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096
   4 drwxr-xr-x   18 root     root         4096
   0 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           34 courier-imap ->
/var/qmail/supervise/courier-imap
   0 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           33 qmail-pop3d ->
/var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d
   0 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           32 qmail-send ->
/var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send
   0 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           33 qmail-smtpd ->
/var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd