Erik, Jake, and Philip, thank you immensely for the details! I really needed it. It probably would have taken me another two days to figure all that out, if not more. Perhaps a statement in the FAQ (3.6) as to why the sample-spam.txt included with Spamassassin is a poor test of the spambox function could save others a lot of hair-pulling...
   Thank you!
John

Erik A. Espinoza wrote:
Hi John,

Simscan + SpamAssassin rejects spam above 12 hits (by default) before
it hits the qmail-queue (hard reject). This is very obvious spam and
it is usually safe to reject at this many hits, as it is very unlikely
to be legitimate at this number of hits. SpamAssassin will also label
5-11.9 as ***SPAM***. The QmailAdmin spambox puts everything from
5-11.9 hits in the Spam folder for users. This is likely spam, but
without whitelists it can result in the occasional false positive.

For example, I use the QmailToaster at work for a local site of a
large megacorp. When we first migrated to the QmailToaster, the first
corporate e-mail going to all users came in, formatted all nasty in
outlook with images and lots of caps, SpamAssassin saw that as 5.1
hits (without a whitelist). Our users got the e-mail, albeit rewritten
as ***SPAM***, I added the corp to the whitelist and all has been well
since.

Spambox would have moved this over to the Spam folder, making the
users inbox easier to follow.

Thanks,
Erik