Quoting Gregory Hicks ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> > Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:42:41 +1100
> > From: Wayne Heming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> [...snip...]
> > This is exactly how sendmail operates, and yes it may be 5 days
> > instead of 4. If there is a way around it I would like to know, but a
> > lot of "so called" sendmail gurus have looked and think it is correct.
>
> We are going a bit far a field, but...
>
> If the receipt of a message puts a user "over-quota" (hard quota), the
> file system is not supposed to let the message get written to disk.  It
> returns an error that indicates "over-quota".  The RECEIVING sendmail
> is uspposed to return a 4.x.x error code (indicates a temporary
> error).

Sometimes.  Lots of ISPs and sites want over-quota to issue a PERM
FAIL.  And my experience is that I've gotten a lot of 5.x.x bounces
back because someone is overquota.  There are several rationals
for perm fail; I don't like any of them, but then, I don't like
spam and mail bombs.

> The SENDING sendmail will continue to try to deliver the mail until the
> queue timeout, normally 5 days (but I've seen exchange servers set as
> low as 4 hours...).  At that time the maill is returned as
> undeliverable to the originator.

I believe that's against RFCs (or likely a SHOULD rather than a MUST),
but then, "Microsoft doesn't follow standards, [they] set them!"