Im a c7 fairly functional quad, I remember an instance where I pulled up to a
gas pump with my van for the sole purpose to see if I could gas my van up in a
emergency. I got out and the first challenge was getting the credit card out of
the slot once i pushed it in. Immediately some guy stopped and was helping me,
this was a double edged sword. I appreciated his help but I didnt meet my
personal goal. Eventually I went back and met the goal.

  In my situation as long as I know i can open a door, make a sandwich and all
that fun stuff myself, I dont mind if someone helps me sometimes because it
does save energy for the other things during the day.Im just at the ten year
mark in a chair and Im trying to become more laidback about these things
although I have my bad days.

  10 yrs in a chair today!!!!!!!!! woohoo         jan 16 98-  jan 16 08

  ron c7

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Very well put W. I am a high level quad and I need help doing most things.
The average AB can't recognize those of us quads or paras that need help and
those that don't. Since I'm one of those quads that do need a lot of help, I'm
always happy when someone opens a door or picks up something I dropped, etc.,
etc. It makes my day to know that in this increasingly selfish society, there
are still people who will take a moment to help someone out.

My type of disability won't get better - only worse over time. I remember
having a discussion with an OT and she said 'Sure Dan, you can struggle to get
your shirt on or cut up your food etc. but how long will these things take and
at what expense to your time and energy reserve? If a PCA does these things for
you, you can save time and energy for the really important things in life -
like masturbation or working on the computer'.

And Bill, would you say the same thing about watching an elderly lady with a
bad limp and using a cane struggling to cross a parking lot carrying a large
bag of groceries? Go granny, go! Come on you can do it and if you have another
stroke trying at least you gave it your best shot. Bravo!

Dan - who is grateful for the compassionate ones.

At 01:10 PM 1/16/2008 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said something that elicited my
response:

  I got your mail but was pondering the issue before making comments.  You
mentioned the term "normal."
That is one word in the dictionary that I fail to comprehend in judging others.
 I submit that when you find a perfect normal, please take a picture of it and
share it with the rest of us.

Until you achieve the status of being independent, you have to tolerate some of
those acts like
those who hold the door, say G'Morning and shake your hand, as a greeting.

Sometimes, just saying thank you but I'd like to try it myself.... and stick
around I might need your
help.

Best Wishes

In a message dated 1/16/2008 11:45:08 A.M. Central Standard Time, [EMAIL