Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:25:19 +0300
From: Artur Yelchishchev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

But I have another question: where that "SCSI Manager 4.3 extension" can
be found?

I did a search on my computer on "SCSI Manager" and found some information I didn't know I had. According to "Inside Macintosh", volume "Devices", section "SCSI_Manager_4.3.pdf",

"SCSI Manager 4.3 is an enhanced version of the SCSI Manager that provides new features as well as compatibility with the original version. SCSI Manager 4.3 is contained in the ROM of high-performance computers such as the Macintosh Quadra 840AV and the Power Macintosh 8100/80. Beginning with system software version 7.5, SCSI Manager 4.3 is also available as a system extension that can be installed in any Macintosh computer that uses the NCR 53C96 SCSI controller chip."

So, I believe it was first included with OS7.5 (isn't 7.5.3 a free download these days?) but, and this was also told to me by a Daystar engineer many years ago, SCSI Manager 4.3 is included in the ROM of Macintoshes including and after the Quadra 840AV. Certainly the NuBus PowerMacs all have it in their ROM.

The Q700 and Q900 do use the NCR 53C96 SCSI controller chip. I think that most of the Mac II series used the NCR53C80 but SCSI Manager 4.3 seemed to work okay on them when I had a JackHammer card installed, I think. My memory is hazy on that.

The reason I discussed this with a Daystar engineer is that the Turbo601 PPC upgrade for the IIci has what amounts to PM 6100 ROMs on board. If you load the SCSI Manager 4.3 extension when using the Turbo601 upgrade it can mess with an installed JackHammer card, so Daystar recommends not loading the extension. I think there was another detail as well, but I sold the Turbo601 a long time ago so stopped worrying about its byzantine compatibility requirements.

Jeff Walther