Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:05:55 -0500
From: Derek Morton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

When SCSI manager 4.3 is active you should indeed have access to 14
total devices.  Unfortunately since SCSI manager 4.3 is not active
until after the system loads, you really don't have access to all the
devices at boot time.

Ah, good point. I wonder if SCSI ID conflicts (e.g. device ID 3 used on both busses) would lock you up at boot time, even if the boot device does not have a corresponding ID'ed device on the other bus.

Another interesting possibility is that I believe I was told at one time that the JackHammer has a copy of SCSI Manager 4.3 in it's firmware. But that memory is vague and unreliable. If this is true, then having a JackHammer in the machine, might get SCSI Manager 4.3 loaded before the OS is loaded.

 It is possible that once the OS loads it would locate the additional bus and
 detect the extra devices.  I am currently working on a truly souped up
 Q-950 (zoom-zoom)...

Sounds like fun! I still wonder if ID conflicts between busses would stop the boot process before you could get SCSI Manager 4.3 loaded from the boot device.

Perhaps putting SCSI manager 4.3 in a custom system ROM... Hmmmm.

Do you know how to do that? I presume that it's possible to add a resource like that to the ROM code without too much alteration, if one understands how the ROM code is organized. If you or someone else can figure out how to put the code together I have a chip programmer...

Jeff Walther