Juliusz does not want his code to carry a GPL notice and does not want to engage with the quagga project to potentially find a way to resolve this.

I certainly object to people adding their copyright notice to our (unmodified) code without our permission and without even an advance warning.

Please realise that I have made serious efforts to reach out to the Quagga developers and to come to an understanding about our code's licensing, both by e-mail and in face-to-face meetings. At one point (summer 2014), I was brought to believe that we had reached an agreement; I was later informed that I was mistaken.

In the circumstances, the least bad course of action is to remove the code from the quagga tree.

I find the wholesale removal of the Babel code with no advance warning whatsoever somewhat disconcerting. I do not know whether this reflects the consensus of the Quagga developers, or whether it is the act of a single person.

If the latter, then this is a very unfortunate development.

-- Juliusz