On 2017-01-03 09:55, Otto Kratik wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 6:54:24 AM UTC-5, Fred wrote:
>
>> I can't help but I had this happen once using Xfce as the
>> desktop. All my 'start menu' disappeared bar a few.
>
> It happened to me at least once before under R3.1 as well, also
> randomly with no obvious or apparent cause. The System Tools menu
> items stayed gone for several weeks, then one day after new Dom0
> updates they magically re-appeared again, with no explanation.
>
> I can also confirm that at the login screen if I choose xfce as
> the desktop environment, the missing shortcut issue still persists,
> so it isn't an intrinsic KDE thing indeed, as surmised.
>
> On a related note, I'm not even sure whether entries like "DispVM:
> Web Browser" are meant to appear under System Tools in R3.2, or if
> that is a menu glitch as well. Previously DispVM had its own
> top-level menu entry like any other AppVM, under which different
> app shortcuts appeared, so I don't know if something else has gone
> wrong.
>
> Is there a text file somewhere in Dom0, from which the System
> Tools menu obtains its default list of items? And if so, is it
> possible for someone with a functioning menu to "dump" the contents
> of that file here in this thread, so that I can copy and paste them
> into my presumably broken source file here, if such a thing is
> even possible?
>

>> I re-installed. Possibly a bug then in this case?
>
> I would really, really, really like to avoid having to re-install
> my entire operating system just to fix some missing menu entries,
> especially since it could presumably happen again at any given
> time thereafter. No other template or app vm's are affected, only
> Dom0. Surely there must be some alternative way to fix this issue,
> without resorting to ssuch drastic measures. Anyone?

I'm afraid I don't have any special insight into this problem. (I
vaguely recall that it happened to me once on 3.1, then I think I
ignored the problem and it eventually reverted itself somehow.)

However, it occurs to me that what you're asking about is primarily a
KDE issue, and the information you seek should, in principle, be
available from a KDE source (docs, devs) or even Fedora or another
distro that uses KDE. To clarify: The *cause* may be Qubes-related (I
have no idea), but the default file/list for KDE System Tools should
probably be the same as in non-Qubes KDE installations. At least, it's
worth checking.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS