On 08/31/2017 08:57 PM, Unman wrote:
On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 02:49:22PM -0300, Franz wrote:
On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 07:20:29AM -0300, Franz wrote:
A proprietary application (Softmaker Office) even if installed in
template
then needs activation in each VM. After activation it puts some files in
home folder and works as expected and it is all OK.

But Disposable VM? Any activation is lost at next start. Is there a way
have the activation files persistent in the home folder?

Best
Fran

Start the DispVM template and activate the application there.
touch  ~/.qubes-dispvm-customized
regenerate the DispVM template

It's covered here:
www.qubes-os.org/doc/dispvm-customization

Thanks unman, but nothing seems to change after that.  I activated the
application inside DispVM, Also changed some "open with" nautilus
defaults. Than
created the empty file in DispVM, closed the DispVM and regenerated the
DispVM in dom0.  Correct?

If by DispVM, you mean the DispVM template, then that's exactly right.

When you open a terminal in a disposableVM, can you see the
.qubes-dispvm-customized
file that you created in the dispVm template? (When I customise a dispVM
Template I always create a file that isn't hidden, listing the changes.
That way I can be sure that subsequent changes are being captured.)

If this is the case, then it's possible that your application is
checking some feature that ISN'T common between the disposableVMs - disk
signatures, MAC address perhaps?

In the old days, one could run a script which would start a generic dispvm; copy in (from, say, vault) the necessary executable and user files necessary to run a program; and start the dispvm.

When all done, the script would be signaled to copy any updated user files (typically text) back to the vault.