On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 02:49:22PM -0300, Franz wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org>
> wrote:

> > > template
> files in

> way

> > > Start the DispVM template and activate the application there.
> > > touch  ~/.qubes-dispvm-customized
> > > regenerate the DispVM template
> > >
> > > It's covered here:
> > > www.qubes-os.org/doc/dispvm-customization
> > >

> > Thanks unman, but nothing seems to change after that.  I activated the
> > application inside DispVM, Also changed some "open with" nautilus
> > defaults. Than
> > created the empty file in DispVM, closed the DispVM and regenerated the
> > DispVM in dom0.  Correct?
> >

> If by DispVM, you mean the DispVM template, then that's exactly right.

Template? Now I'm getting confused. The tutorial you showed me tells to do:

[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -a fedora-23-dvm gnome-terminal

Since my DispVM is based on template debian-8-multimedia, I did:

qvm-run -a debian-8-multimedia-dvm gnome-terminal

Is this a template?

Anyway did the changes, created the .qubes-dispvm-customized file,
poweroff. Regenerated the DispVM
qvm-create-default-dvm debian-8-multimedia

or am I wrong and should instead use debian-8-multimedia-dvm

such as

qvm-create-defaul-dvm debian-8-multimedia-dvm

I have not tried it fearing to break everything, but this second option
seems to make more sense.

> When you open a terminal in a disposableVM, can you see the
> .qubes-dispvm-customized
> file that you created in the dispVm template?

not sure I am able to do that with a terminal, but with nautilus and ctrl+h
hidden files appear, but .qubes-dispvm-customized is NOT present

> (When I customise a dispVM
> Template I always create a file that isn't hidden, listing the changes.
> That way I can be sure that subsequent changes are being captured.)

Yes the difference is that you understand what you are doing  and I cannot
even imagine what this non hidden file may be.

> If this is the case, then it's possible that your application is
> checking some feature that ISN'T common between the disposableVMs - disk
> signatures, MAC address perhaps?

And setting viewnior  as defult "open with" option for opening .png and
.jpg also checks MAC address? It is just that I am doing something stupid.

Anyway I tried to start again debian-8-multimedia-dvm  and the empty file
is there, still empty. Also there is a folder and an hidden file from
Softmaker that do not appear on normal DispVMs