On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 09:55:46PM -0300, Franz wrote:
> > >
> > Template? Now I'm getting confused. The tutorial you showed me tells to
> do:
> >
> > [user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -a fedora-23-dvm gnome-terminal
> >
> > Since my DispVM is based on template debian-8-multimedia, I did:
> >
> > qvm-run -a debian-8-multimedia-dvm gnome-terminal
> >
> > Is this a template?
>
> DisposableVms in 3.2 are based on a DVMTemplate, which is generated from
> an ordinary template.
>

> > Anyway did the changes, created the .qubes-dispvm-customized file,
> > poweroff. Regenerated the DispVM
> > qvm-create-default-dvm debian-8-multimedia
> >
> > or am I wrong and should instead use debian-8-multimedia-dvm
>
> No, you are right.
> >
> > such as
> >
> > qvm-create-defaul-dvm debian-8-multimedia-dvm
> >
> > I have not tried it fearing to break everything, but this second option
> > seems to make more sense.
>
> No it doesnt, if you think about the Template - DVMTemplate - disposableVM
> pattern.
>

> > > When you open a terminal in a disposableVM, can you see the
> > > .qubes-dispvm-customized
> > > file that you created in the dispVm template?
> >

> > not sure I am able to do that with a terminal, but with nautilus and
> ctrl+h
> > hidden files appear, but .qubes-dispvm-customized is NOT present
> >

> In that case you need to regenerate the DVMTemplate.
> >

> > > (When I customise a dispVM
> > > Template I always create a file that isn't hidden, listing the changes.
> > > That way I can be sure that subsequent changes are being captured.)
> > >

> > Yes the difference is that you understand what you are doing  and I
> cannot
> > even imagine what this non hidden file may be.
> >

> It's ANY file that you like - When you customise the DVMTemplate,
> create a file README, and write in it what you have done.
> If you make more changes add description to that file.
> Then any disposableVM will contain a README in /home/user showing what
> custom changes you have made.
>
> > > If this is the case, then it's possible that your application is
> > > checking some feature that ISN'T common between the disposableVMs -
> disk
> > > signatures, MAC address perhaps?
> > >

> > And setting viewnior  as defult "open with" option for opening .png and
> > .jpg also checks MAC address? It is just that I am doing something
> stupid.
> >
> > Anyway I tried to start again debian-8-multimedia-dvm  and the empty file
> > is there, still empty. Also there is a folder and an hidden file from
> > Softmaker that do not appear on normal DispVMs
> >

> This shows that your disposableVMs are not using the updated
> DVMTemplate.
> Whenever this issue has come up in the past, it's invariably been solved
> by a slow and methodical approach.
> Make sure that the DVMTemplate has customisations and the
> .qubes-dispvm-customized file in /home/user (It does, you say.)
> [...]
I rebooted the whole computer, did what you suggested, but what is strange
is that when I start the normal DispVM it starts immediately and the usual
screen (telling that the first time it is slow, but later will be faster)
does not appears. Is that expected?

Any way the DispVM does not contain the files that are in the
DispVM-template, particularly the softmaker folders and the hidden
.qubes-dispvm-customized