"Ron Frazier (NTP)" <timekeepingntpl...@c3energy.com> wrote in message news:4f61e4df.4080...@c3energy.com...
[]
I mainly meant that operating conditions will vary the frequency of the oscillator. Speaking of which, is there a way to run ntpd and have it NOT adjust the clock at all, but still generate stats files, so I can monitor the clock frequency just based on the computer usage and nothing else?

Pass.  What happens if everything is "noselect"?

Can you elaborate on that power saving frequency thing? Is that the thing in the control panel where you set the minimum and maximum cpu frequency?

Likely, yes, but it varies between computers, chip makers (under different trade names), and BIOS makers. For best timekeeping, you want no clock speed variation.

[]
 http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_bacchus.php

Wow, if I'm reading that graph right in the last link, that cpu usage spike sent your clock variation from about 100 us to 4000 us. That's amazing, and frustrating.

The offset went from zero, to approximately +1.2 milliseconds. As MRTG can't plot negative numbers (it was designed for network throughput), I add 3.0 milliseconds to the reported offsets before plotting, as the left axis label says. So the range of the graph is +/- 3.0 milliseconds, plotted as 0 to 6ms.

I thought all 32 bit Windows had the same kernel. You could try this defragger. I've had good luck with it, but I'm not sure which older systems it works on.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/
[]
Sincerely,

Ron

Thanks for the suggestion, Ron, but that software, like most others, needs XP or higher. I actually use that program on one of my PCs, as it can also be called from the command-line to defragment files or directories.