"John Hasler" <jhas...@newsguy.com> wrote in message news:87sjh7mlqs....@thumper.dhh.gt.org...
David J Taylor writes:
But in the UK from Virgin Media I have 30 Mb/s down, 1 Mb/s up.  I
have been promised an upload speed increase about 18 months ago to 2
Mb/s up, which is more sensible...

Such a very high cable download speed is a peak burst speeds on a shared
medium.  Your sustained performance is not likely to be more than a
fraction of it.

Speed tests from a number of sites show 30 Mb/s, and that's over several seconds. I downloaded the Windows-8 64-bit ISO recently, and the 3,583,707,136 bytes took 48 minutes, 24 seconds, which I make about 7.4 Mb/s, and the 32-bit ISO was 2,711,396,352 bytes in 27 minutes, so about 13.4 Mb/s. That was without any download accelerator (no multiple connections).

Not ideal, but I prefer cable to ADSL.

You'd get less jitter with DSL.
--
John Hasler

DSL or ADSL? But I haven't checked the jitter on the cable modem link for a long time, since I installed the GPS receivers.

Thanks, John.