On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 2:09 PM, William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:

> Because ntpd is what I know.

Except you've admitted you don't know NTPd.

> If you are saying that this is all up in the air again with
> the new replacement, that would be great. But I have seen no evidence
> thereof in discussions here.

And you won't.  This list is called ntp:questions.  If Ntimed was going to
be discussed on an ntp ilst ntp:hackers would make more sense.  But I
suspect Ntimed will be code and fact driven.   And PHK driven.  So read the
material I pointed you to last time, read the code and present useful
comments or code.

> I would have expected people involved to discuss what the new design
> philosophy was, what they saw as the advantages and disadvantages of the
> various approaches, etc. I have not seen those discussion. Either they
> are taking place elsewhere than here, or they are not taking place, and
> the new is simply a repolishing of the old.

See above.

> Regardind the rate of convergence, clearly that will be vastly faster
> with a PPS refclock... But most people use the net, not a local PPS source.

Yes but you said
 "This means that if you are using say a PPS source, which gives
microsecond long term offset, it can take many hours to get there"
and I was responding to that.  If you refuse to accept that your previous
statements set the context for a discussion then you're just an ANON troll.

> To get the discussion started, lets compare some of the differences
> between chrony and ntpd.

BZZZZZT.  NTPd is yesterday's news.  It's core is unlikely to change absent
a security flaw.  Design "discussions" about it are useless and unhelpful
(but they should still be on more relevant list).  Come back when you're
ready to write about the differences between Chrony and Ntimed with reasons
to select one or the other.  In the meantime be a better advocate of
alternatives to NTPd i.e. get unstuck from the past and port Chrony to
Windows.

Research is needed, and such research should be part
> of any new system. Is it there?

Ntimed has a few constraints -- no research needed:
1) Be safer (simpler) than ntpd.
2) Be smaller than ntpd.
3) Be as good or better than ntpd where better is probably slippery.

It's not clear to me if worrying about dial-up costs is an Ntimed concern
(I doubt it) but if it is for you then use Chrony.