Reality is probably somewhere in the middle, as with most
disagreements.

I don't have an SB Radio, but from my other SB devices, I'd agree that
calling them the best alarm clocks ever is probably unwarranted. But
they're probably not the worst either. If you're unhappy because you
look at your >$200 purchase as an unreliable alarm clock, I'd suggest
your expectations are the problem.

Why think of these products as anything other than great network music
players/devices with an alarm function? It's a bonus, not a core
function. It's no more reliable than your and my crappy networks,
patched together with products and technology made by others and out of
the company's control.

In any system, reliability comes from redundancy. If oversleeping is
not an option, relying on just one device (no matter what kind) involves
risk. Use two to be certain.

--
Goodsounds