>And also if an existing squeezeboxserver >7.4 with all credentials for
>network use, like my own is present. It is completely unnecessary and
>tedious to setup trough the device, it could just auto register to
>msb.com in the background.

I agree.  Setup could attempt to connect to a local Squeezebox Server.  If it
finds one on the local network, then use it and retrieve MySqueezebox.com
account details that may have been configured from there to avoid having to
type it in.  In most cases, the only setup required for a new player would be
to connect it to the local network.

This is how the classic player setup used to work - it asked for a server to
connect to.  If it didn't find one, it could connect to SN.

The reason for the change was apparently that this is too confusing; takes too
long for a new user to unpackage device and get it running; that the user first
needs to install some software on their computer (and that they might not even
have a computer, although I think anyone in the market for a media player would
have at least one PC in their household).  I don't understand that; there's no
reason why it can't offer the option to connect to either local or remote, or
intelligently search for a local server first, and if not ask for
MySqueezebox.com account info.

iPod's can't be used until you've installed iTunes, and it didn't seem to
hinder iPod sales too much!

The actual reason may be that they want to tie players to their server to offer
extra marketting, tracking product usage, etc.  For the typical person looking
for a device to play internet radio streams, they will not see the need for
MySqueezebox.com at all - just configure a few default radio stations into the
player and directly connect to play those sources.

MySqueezebox.com can provide extras and has a use, but it shouldn't be a
necessary requirement forced upon at device setup.