MelonMonkey;483894 Wrote:
> I haven't seen any "regular" alarm clock radio where the alarm can still
> sound during a power outage.  The 9v battery backup in these types of
> alarms only keeps the correct time for when the mains power comes back
> on.  Many such alarms also break down after a while, can have their
> volume levels at zero without you knowing it, the radio station might be
> off the air, etc.
>
> Yes, there are potentially more failure points to a client-server
> product, but the Radio and Boom can sound an alarm without a server
> present.  You also forgot the biggest failure point of all.  Simply
> sleeping through the alarm.
>
> Myself, I usually wake up from 1 to 5 minutes before any alarm I set,
> regardless of what time it's for and regardless of where I'm sleeping.
> But that's just me. ;)
>
> I'm tossing my current clock radio when the SBS comes in.  If you're
> not intending to wake up to music, then just use any old buzzer alarm -
> or the one on your watch, phone, iPod, TV, whatever.

Don't know where you get that a $5 alarm clock with a battery backup
won't sound an alarm during a power outage, mine do.  My one clock went
for weeks not even plugged in before I noticed the cord unplugged.
Every symptom you detail (volume at zero, station off the air) are also
potential problems to Radio and Boom (in addition to the dozen other
things that can go haywire on a networked device).

I am certain MANY will buy this great Radio for use as a bedside
alarm/clock/radio and LOVE it for such use.  But not I.   :)
Also, check out the Boom forum for the posts on when the failsafe alarm
did not function.

But then I'm not the type to lay in bed to listen to music either.
Like you I also tend to wake up just before the alarm goes off, in any
part of the world, in any time zone.  It is odd.   :)

--
toby10