pfarrell;488652 Wrote:
> CorePrime wrote:
> > You will probably need a router, otherwise you will be using 2 IP
> > addresses from your internet provider.  They will want to charge you
> for
> > it.  With a router you can share your one IP address between many
> > devices.
>
> Er, that is why I suggested calling the ISP. If their modem/router or
> whatever they call it does NAT translation and assigns the TCP/IP
> address via a DHCP server, you are done.
>
> It depends on what the ISP provides.
>
> You are a bit confused, nearly all ISPs do NAT at the entry to your
> house, so only one IP address is visible externally.
>
> There is very little difference between a router and a switch. The
> more
> important question is who assigns the TCP/IP addresses. Doing that
> manually has been obsolete for at least a decade.
>

> --
> Pat Farrell
> http://www.pfarrell.com/

Sorry, that is not my experience.  While using Comcast, the largest ISP
in the U.S., I tried using a switch and each connected device required a
unique ip address.  A couple weeks later I received a letter telling me
I'll have to pay for the additional ip addresses and suggested I use a
router.

--
CorePrime