garym;634265 Wrote:
> Yep, very different these days!  I still have my Drake R8b, Drake SW8,
> Lowe 150, ICOM R75, and several old SW radios, including my
> Hallicrafters 101MKII (a 1950s high-end receiver that looks like a '55
> Chevy and weighs almost as much!....I got this mint receiver a number
> of years ago on an ebay auction and realized after I (barely) won, that
> I was going head-to-head with Joe Walsh (of James Gang and Eagles fame).

Wow, I never would have pegged Joe Walsh as an SWL'er :-).

I liked the Drake receivers.  When I bought my R-5000, I was torn
between it and an R8.  I went for the R-5000 only because I had been
lusting for it for years.

I fire up the R-5000 here and there for some nostalgia, but I don't
have the time any more.  I think the airwaves are getting pretty
desolate anyway.  My kids got a kick out of my QSL card collection.

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod
Touch.  SuSE 11.0 Server running SqueezeBoxServer 7.5.0, MusicIP, and
SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 34,767 songs, 2,776 albums, 505 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior