maggior;634282 Wrote:
> Wow, I never would have pegged Joe Walsh as an SWL'er :-).
>
> I liked the Drake receivers.  When I bought my R-5000, I was torn
> between it and an R8.  I went for the R-5000 only because I had been
> lusting for it for years.
>
> I fire up the R-5000 here and there for some nostalgia, but I don't
> have the time any more.  I think the airwaves are getting pretty
> desolate anyway.  My kids got a kick out of my QSL card collection.

I never got in to shortwave. Would you say that the lure was the sense
of adventure and the tactile experience of operating the radio, rather
than the content? Today, internet "broadcasting" brings clear content
(in most cases) in a mechanical, uninteresting way which I would guess
doesn't compare to the old days?

--
Goodsounds