Goodsounds;634307 Wrote:
> I never got in to shortwave. Would you say that the lure was the sense
> of adventure and the tactile experience of operating the radio, rather
> than the content? Today, internet "broadcasting" brings clear content
> (in most cases) in a mechanical, uninteresting way which I would guess
> doesn't compare to the old days?

For me there we a number of appealing factors.  The inital lure was the
idea of listening to a broadcast that originated from another country.
There were also times where the content was interesting.  For instance,
when the Berlin wall was coming down, it was interesting to listen to
both the east and west german shortware outlets (Deutsche Welle and
Radio Berlin International).  The tactile experience with operating the
radio was fun too, especially on more sofisticated radios where you
could tune various filters to try to optimize the listenability of the
signal.  It was also fun to corrospond with the stations and send
reception reports to get QSL (verification) cards.

There's also an element of unpredictability because listening
conditions depend a lot on atmospheric and solar conditions.

Back then, there was no Internet, so shortwave was the only way of
hearing other perspectives on current events.  The alternative was
international newspapers.  You could get a sense of satisfaction from
the fact that you could access information from an outlet that many
people didn't.

It is great to have easy clear access to radio broadcasts via the
internet, but yes, it's a rather uninteresting way as compared to using
a SW radio.

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod
Touch.  SuSE 11.0 Server running SqueezeBoxServer 7.5.0, MusicIP, and
SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 34,767 songs, 2,776 albums, 505 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior