Nicholas mentioned open source projects. I don't think open source projects
alone can provide everything structured mentoring could.

However I do think that they'd be great as a focus for mentoring in many
ways, as Mikel acknowledged with his discounted open source rates.
Especially since they'd help not just those being mentored.

How about a way for people who want to support a particular project to
pledge money towards mentoring people on a particular project?