For those who are fighting hard to keep our values, religion and
culture; for those who are fighting harder to destroy them, I have
this blog.

Saturday, March 01, 2008
Another First: A Female Maazun

Once again Egypt continues to challenge previously held perceptions
of social order, while shaking the foundation of a male dominated
culture by appointing the first female maazun. This controversial
step comes just 5 years after Egypt appointed their first female
judge, and just one year after the appointment of an additional 30
female judges. Amal Soliman, 32, the first female maazun (or notary)
who also holds a masters degree in law, will read verses from the
Qur'an at ceremonies, sign marriage certificates and authorize
divorce contracts. Ms Soliman has said that as a woman she will be
more able to verify if a bride really wants to marry the groom and
is not being forced by her family, adding that she will also be
better able to dissuade women from seeking divorce.

Needless to say in a culture where male dominance is still so
profound, these appointments or even the very idea of such an
appointment has met with much resistance. The resistance has come in
all matter of form, from the insecurities of men who would never
consider a female maazun based on perceived social constraints such
as Ahmed Abdel Rehim who simply declared: "A woman cannot do this
job. I would never have a female maazun at my wedding." Or Mahmud
Ali, whose opinion was "There must be religious texts forbidding
this... there are also obstacles on a social level, she would always
take the woman's side."

While this feeling may be true of some, it is not however the view
of all as demonstrated by former head of Al-Azhar University's
religious dialogue committee Ali Saman who said "I'm not shocked at
all, it's a purely legal job, reading Qur'anic verses and conducting
a marriage, A maazun is a judicial assistant, a notary... so it's a
job that women can do" however the notion of Islamic prohibitions
against women in certain situation has led many to dispute the
validity of these appointments.

Al-Azhar's deputy director Sheikh Fawzi Zafzaf noted that
while "There are no religious texts banning a Muslim woman from
being a maazun," there are other considerations, such as "when a
woman is menstruating she must not enter a mosque or read Qur'anic
verses and that will affect her job, so for this reason we say it is
not advisable to have a woman maazun." And while his somber tone may
leave a somewhat ominous atmosphere around the appointment of a
female maazun, it is clear from his words that while it may not be
advisable there are certainly no restrictions against it.

The advocates of these appointments see benefits of having female
judges, especially in family law cases, and female maazun who will
be able to more intimately interact with potential brides, as far
outweighing the limitations. While the majority of objections have
been seen as concern over her ability to perform her duties while
menstruating because according to Islamic tradition, a woman is not
allowed to pray or read the Qur'an in a mosque during this period,
it does not address the other three and a half weeks a month she
would be prepared to fulfill her duties. So the question begs to be
asked, why not? Is a woman incapable of performing such simple yet
significant duties? We need put aside these cultural influences and
look at it from an Islamic stance, and as stated earlier, there is
no reason Islamicly a woman cannot perform this duty. Only through
broadening our views and breaking away from traditionally held
biases can we realize the rights and opportunities that should be
open to women. Islam should hold place over national cultural
prejudices, and as such should dictate to us what should be or
should not be forbidden. We now see some progress, slow moving
progress, but at least it is progress.

Egypt has once again sought to lead the way in the Middle East, if
not the entire Muslim world and while there may be room for
improvement in the social conditions of women it is reassuring that
we can still see changes that just a decade ago would have been
inconceivable. We will now watch and see how the events of Egypt
affect its own social customs and perceptions as well as those of
its neighbors.

Source: http://egyptianpride.blogspot.com/2008/03/another-first-
female-maazun.html

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Rahima <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kalau berita yang dikirimkan Mak Boes dalam bahasa
> Inggris itu. Berarti makdzun Syar'i. Yang mencatat
> sekaligus yang menikahkan itu. (Wali sekaligus
> pencatat).Dan ini memang beritanya tersebar di surat
> kabar Mesir, adanya di propinsi Mansurah.
>
> Wassalamu'alaikum. Rahima.

UNTUK DIPERHATIKAN:
- Wajib mematuhi Peraturan Palanta RantauNet, mohon dibaca & dipahami! Lihat di
http://groups.google.com/group/RantauNet/web/peraturan-rantaunet.
- Tuliskan Nama, Umur & Lokasi anda pada setiap posting.
- Hapus footer & bagian yg tidak perlu, jika melakukan reply.
- Email attachment, DILARANG! Tawarkan kepada yg berminat & kirim melalui jalur
pribadi.
- Posting email besar dari >200KB akan dibanned, sampai yg bersangkutan minta
maaf & menyampaikan komitmen mengikuti peraturan yang berlaku.