>From a technical pov - durability, shifting performance etc - there's
not much difference.  I've logged tens or perhaps hundreds of
thousands of miles on each without much problem with either.  I like
the convenience of 7 spd hubs, available from IRD, with a triple
crank; but with a double the Shimano  12 - 27 casette allows for a
smaller outside ring, 48 or 46, and then an easier shift to a 34 or 32
on the inside.  Freewheels are still cheaper and easier to service.

Michael