On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 15:17 -0800, MichaelH wrote:
> >From a technical pov - durability, shifting performance etc - there's
> not much difference.  I've logged tens or perhaps hundreds of
> thousands of miles on each without much problem with either.  I like
> the convenience of 7 spd hubs, available from IRD, with a triple
> crank; but with a double the Shimano  12 - 27 casette allows for a
> smaller outside ring, 48 or 46, and then an easier shift to a 34 or 32
> on the inside.  Freewheels are still cheaper and easier to service.

7 speed IRD freewheels are more expensive than 7 speed Shimano
cassettes.  It's not much trouble removing and replacing a cassette:
I've never heard of anybody having to use a six foot cheater bar to
remove a cassette lockring, and I can't imagine ever stripping out the
removal slot on a cassette lockring.  I doubt there are many old timers
who haven't stripped a freewheel when trying to get it off, and I don't
think there are many tandem owners with freewheels who haven't had
trouble unscrewing them.

As for the advantages of compact cranks: cranks don't care whether the
sprockets in back are on a freewheel or a cassette.