On Dec 1, 2008, at 6:14 PM, Steve Palincsar wrote:

> It's not much trouble removing and replacing a cassette:
> I've never heard of anybody having to use a six foot cheater bar to
> remove a cassette lockring, and I can't imagine ever stripping out the
> removal slot on a cassette lockring.  I doubt there are many old
> timers
> who haven't stripped a freewheel when trying to get it off, and I
> don't
> think there are many tandem owners with freewheels who haven't had
> trouble unscrewing them.

This may have reminded Jim Thill of the tale of my freewheel at his
shop.  It was a Sachs 7 speed on a Phil hub that lives on my old A/
R.  The wheel was built in 1996 and the freewheel was off once or
twice in the next couple of years, put back on with liberal amounts
of Phil grease on the threads, but since a 135 mm/7 speed has only
about 1 mm of dish, I've never broken a spoke in 12+ years despite
being a 220 lb guy.  I tried to get it off once to replace it, around
2000 or so, and it was stuck on the hub.  Actually broke the tool at
the bike shop I took it to.  But freewheels don't wear out in the
bearings very readily, cogs can be replaced and so there wasn't much
reason to take the freewheel off, until finally I could no longer
find replacement cogs and the chain was starting to skip.  So I got a
new 7 speed freewheel, rolled up my sleeves, put the freewheel tool
in the vice and the wheel on the tool.  I turned the wheel.
Nothing.  Double checked the "righty tighty, lefty loosey" thing.
Tried again.  Nada.  Twisted harder.  Zip.  Even twisted the tool
into a slight spiral.  Nope.  My vice spun around on the workbench.
The freewheel mocked me and whispered derisory comments.

So, knowing the reputation that Jim's genius mechanic has for these
things, I rode over to Jim's shop with new freewheel in tow and
presented my dilemma to Mongo.  I figured I'd be home before dark.
Two solid hours later, the freewheel was still on the hub.  We'd
tried the shop vice- we flexed the vice jaws alarmingly.  We tried a
giant cheater bar.  We disassembled the freewheel down to the bit
left on the hub.  We tried a huge pipe wrench.  We tried a big hammer
and a drift punch.  We tried a torch.  We tried an air impact wrench
and exhausted the compressor's capacity.  We tried all these things
in various combinations.  Mongo took it over to the chop shop across
the street and tried *their* giant compressor with a bigger air
wrench.  We tried various penetrating oils.  Nothing.  Not a tiniest
fraction of an inch of budging.  I got a ride home from Jim's
business partner and left the bike at the shop.  This was
ignominious, I haven't left a bike at a shop for repair in 30 years
(back before I worked at a bike shop).

Mongo called the next day to say it was done.  I was busy with a
prior commitment so my wonderful wife went and picked it up for me-
he'd apparently had to use an angle grinder to finally get the darned
thing off.  I didn't ask for too many details.  Some things are
better left a mystery!  4+ hours total labor.  The new freewheel
works great.