> I can think of four reasons why a freewheel set-up may be preferred:
> 1. You're nostalgic about bicycle technology that has been or is being
> phased out.
> 2. You already have a stash of freewheels and freewheel hubs.
> 3. You simply like to go against the current.
> 4. You are dazzled by Phil Wood parts, but don't want to spend $350+
> for a cassette hub.

or 5. You got really lucky and managed to snag a set of NOS pelissier
1000 hubs.  (bottom pic)

http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2008/cc484-joelmatthews0508.html

I also have two sets of NOS Maxi-Cars waiting for the right bike.

As you suggest, I scan e-bay for top of the line Regina and Suntour
freewheel sets.

I use the Trek for loaded touring.  I do not have a problem with only
seven gears in the back.  I guess for competition 8 or 9 may make a
difference.

To be clear, I am no luddite.  I have a bike with a Rohloff and one
with a SON generator hub.  Pelissier 1000s are great touring hubs and
I did not want to spread the chain stays on the Trek.