Lisa,

It's nice that you've never needed padded gloves.  Some of us do, no
matter the bar height or weight distribution.  I've had numbness in my
hands when riding a recumbent - NO weight on the hands at all.  And
when riding bolt upright with Albatross bars.  A good pair of gloves
(and a little cushion in the bar tape) lets me ride in greater
comfort.  What's wrong with that?

Most of the gloves I see in bike shops have virtually no padding at
all, unlike even the most basic of gloves from a few years ago.  I
went to five shops to find a single pair with any hope of providing
some cushion.  The palms of the gloves I bought are well under 5 mm
thick, the padding is under 3 mm thick.  Not a lot, but more than
most.  It's enough to help, along with nicely-shaped modern brake
levers from Tektro or Campagnolo, a relatively high handlebar
position, short reach and shallow drop handlebars, generous saddle
setback, 'cork' tape instead of cloth, widish tires, and shorter stems
and top tubes than I rode when I was younger.

Eric, Ken's Bike & Ski had both the Specialized and the Spenco gloves
when I dropped in a couple of weeks back.  None of the other shops in
Davis had anything you could remotely call 'padded'.

Bill

On May 25, 5:07 pm, "Lisa -S.H." <harmo...@fairpoint.net> wrote:
 Gloves are basically to protect your palms and hand nerves from
damage