On Jun 16, 8:58 am, Timothy Whalen <whalen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I ride the Fatty Rumpkins a lot on my Bleriot, agree with the coments about
> them, and have wondered about the Hetres.  Which of the two is best for
> mostly dirt roads would you think?<

what makes the hetre unique is that it can rightly be considered a
reasonably fast rolling road tire that also happens to excel on dirt
because of it's size.  i suppose that statement works in reverse too -
it's a dirt road tire that also happens to excel on the road because
it rolls reasonably fast.

which tire is better on dirt?  well, both are obviously comfortable at
40mm.  although in my experience, the casings on the GB tires make
things more comfortable than other tires - just as Juan McMurry stated
above.  both seem durable by all accounts.  so, that leaves
performance - and i'd be surprised if the fatty rumpkin was as fast a
tire as the hetre over any terrain.

but on the dirt, i'm not sure this even matters.  i guess it depends
on how comfortable and fast one needs/wants to be - certainly, it's
only a matter of degrees.  small degrees.  a 40 tire is comfy.  and i
don't think many folks on this list are looking to race on dirt
roads.

in any event, my buddies ride anywhere between 28-35 on dirt roads,
which we spend a lot of time on.  we're all comfortable, and we don't
need to slow down "when the pavement ends."