On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Patrick in VT<psh...@drm.com> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 8:58 am, Timothy Whalen <whalen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I ride the Fatty Rumpkins a lot on my Bleriot, agree with the coments about
>> them, and have wondered about the Hetres.  Which of the two is best for
>> mostly dirt roads would you think?<
>
> what makes the hetre unique is that it can rightly be considered a
> reasonably fast rolling road tire that also happens to excel on dirt
> because of it's size.  i suppose that statement works in reverse too -
> it's a dirt road tire that also happens to excel on the road because
> it rolls reasonably fast.
>
> which tire is better on dirt?  well, both are obviously comfortable at
> 40mm.  although in my experience, the casings on the GB tires make
> things more comfortable than other tires - just as Juan McMurry stated
> above.  both seem durable by all accounts.  so, that leaves
> performance - and i'd be surprised if the fatty rumpkin was as fast a
> tire as the hetre over any terrain.

It's interesting to me. The explanation that Jan gave as to why there
is no 700c version of the hetre is the lack of bikes that can take a
700x42 tire. Given that a lot of 700c riv riders can take a 42mm tire
I wonder if there is enough of a market to justify a 700c hetre. I
know I'd be willing to buy a pair if they were  available.

oh and incase no one has looked it looks like the hetre now comes in
white, in addition to red and black.

-sv