Jay,

I cringe every time I see a toddler in a child seat.  I think the front
mount type, like the Bobike, is better than the rear but I would not/did
not use either.  As the famous Forest Gump wisely said "&%$# HAPPENS"!  A
toddler in a child seat has no way to protect itself in a fall. It is a
considerable distance to the pavement or the corner of a curb and their
soft little noggin is going to take a major SMACK.  I only put my children
in a trailer.  I'm not familiar with them all but I used a Burley.  What
distinguishes a trailer from a child's seat is that when the bike goes down
the trailer stays upright.  The connection between the trailer and the bike
pivots.  Trailers are more expensive, and they are a bit more of
cumbersome, but I feel the trade off is worth it.  Plus, there is a huge
aftermarket for used trailers.  Generally, when children out grow the
trailer people sell them.  Just my 0.02.

Matt