It seems like you're busy filling a gap between now and the not too distant
future when your small person can be trusted to sit on his own in some fashion.
Perhaps one of the trailers like a Burley or a Weehoo?
I can't imagine why you'd get rid of the Xtracycle. Kids on cargo bikes make an
ideal situation. By the time he's three, it wil be your best solution. I'd not
be surprised if you could accessorize it in a way to make it work well now.