I think it depends on the kind of riding you will be doing.  I used bar
ends for the 13 years I commuted into work surrounded by rush hour traffic.
 I liked the security of not leaving the handle bars or being far from the
brake levers.  For a similar reason I use BEs on the tandem because the
stoker doesn't like me to let go of the bars.   But since retiring, I have
gradually moved all three of my singles back to DT.  Why?  Now most of my
riding is just for joy, and the terrain here in VT is very rolling, which
rewards fast double shifts.  Unless I'm on the drops I can't do that with
BEs but with DT I can reach down and move the levers in quick succession.
 DT also seems to be more aggressive and suffers less from cable stretch.
 OTOH BEs feel more relaxed and is the most intuitive, (move the lever up,
move the chain up) so my wife prefers it.  DT requires teaching your hand
where the lever is, but with a little practice it becomes pretty automatic.

Michael