Agree on the grew up with DT shifting.  Of course have both and both are
natural for me.  Current DT is on my go-fast - it's natural for me on that
ride, though I do shift less often.  Never had a problem with my long
spindly limbs.  I have bar ends on my utility bike with moustache cockpit,
ride it in tougher hills, shift a lot and enjoy it.