On 12/17/2014 12:09 AM, lungimsam wrote:
If I love friction  bar end shifting, will I find friction DT shifting just as
easy and enjoyable?

Maybe, maybe not.  For me, not.

Never done it before, and seems like the reach may make it more difficult

Exactly. For some people, when they drop their hand it falls on the DT lever. With my setup, my hand is quite far away from the lever, and I have to bend down about as much as to reach a water bottle on the downtube.

and looks like there's a big potential for knees banging into forearms while
pedalling and reaching down to shift  at same time.

No, I haven't had that at all. Easy to simulate: you know where the lever is going to be. Practice putting your hand there while riding.

What's your experience been with DT shifting?

There are some things that are great: simple cable run, out of the way; looks good. I have indexed DT levers on my porteur, which I shift infrequently and the location frees up the bar and lets me use inverse brake levers. Think of it as similar to a Simple-One only no stick is required to shift, there's a handy DT lever for the purpose.

I hated it back in the day. Not only was there the awkward reach, you also had to fiddle around with friction shifting. I almost crashed one time when I hit a pothole while reaching over to shift -- made worse by the presence of my then 1 year old daughter on a baby seat at the time.

YMMV.  Plenty of people love them.