My Hunqapillar has barend shifters, and I really like them, except when I knock
them against the doorframe getting the bike in and out of the garage. When I
built up my Atlantis this fall, I went with downtube shifters mostly because of
cost-containment. I like the clean lines, and I like how it mitigates my
natural tendency to shift too often. But, that's ALL I like. The reach is just
too much for me to feel comfortable with, and bar ends are going on in the
spring. I like the look of downtube shifters, and the simplicity. The
experience? Not so much.