IME, relying upon one (or two, or three...) aspect(s) of the geometry never
really translates to real-world behavior.  Patrick and others touch on this
above.

Back when "low-trail" was in fact the New Low Trailâ„¢ I was lucky enough to
have a few longer conversations with Grant about the urge to swap out forks
on Riv models.  Or the push to just offer it with a different fork.  While
it would be difficult to distill all the topics covered, one major take
away was an awareness of how many small factors add up to the ride of a
given bicycle.

For example, riding one of the Appaloosa models is nothing like what it
appears from a side view.  I've ridden a number of long bikes (Big Dummy
style) and there was none of the "rental truck" navigation required to
maneuver it .  It was a bike designed for a specific posture that rode like
a Rivendell. Which, yes, I realize does veer to the realm of non-measurable
perception.

But, over the past years, GP has quietly developed a model which works with
upright non-racing bars, but behaves like a bicycle you want to ride, not a
cruiser or hauler or some almost-a-bike derivation.  The branch of the
Mystery Bike / Appaloosa / Cheviot / Clem is certainly interesting.
Deciding which model is right for your needs probably has a lot to do which
what other bicycle (if any) might be available.

Great discussion!

- Jim / cyclofiend.com