Dear Tim,

If they're squealing now after 100mi, and a short shot with a flat file on
the pads to get a fresh surface + an alcohol wipe of the rim doesn't fix
it, then no: The front brake will not stop squealing until it wears in the
slop in the pivot bushing. And they are very, very loud.

This won't take long, actually, as squeal (which is high-frequency brake
shudder) wears pads dramatically. I can remember braking down one steep
hill before I toed in a set of MAFAC competitions (which have more play in
the pivots than the Compass Brakes typically do), and watching/smelling
material fly off off the pad. My ears rang after that particular braking
experience, and I took a crescent wrench to the arms to cold-set enough
toe-in to offset the play shortly thereafter. They've been silent since.

Take a deep breath, grab a round file of the correct diameter (I think it
is 1/4"), and file the washer with two indents in it to set the leading
(TOE) edge of the brake in contact with the rim before the trailing edge.
The amount you'll need to file will depend on how much angular play there
is in the pivot, but the Compass pivots are pretty carefully matched to the
brake bushings, and it shouldn't be much if the pivots are brazed
accurately. The objective is to get the pad to contact the rim parallel
under hard braking, when the rotation of the rim tends to take up the
angular play in the bushing and press the heel of the pad into the rim
before the toe. Start by setting the toe-in to a dime's width (put the dime
under the heel of the pad, and file the inner contact point of the washer
until the pad toe contacts the rim; alternatively, just use a crescent
wrench to carefully cold-set (bend) the lower arm to achieve the necessary
toe-in.

Good luck. My Compass brakes have been silent for a year now, and I haven't
had to tinker with toe-in etc, but I am not using the lovely Compass pad
holders nor their brake pads, as they were not supplied to me--they were
out of stock, apparently. My MAFACs have all had a lot of play, and have
required pretty heavy toe-in (with the exception of the Alex Singer, which
was consistently silent) to prevent squeal and excessive pad wear. Braze-on
pivots are a big step up, assuming they're very straight and placed
properly.

Best Regards,

Will
William M. deRosset