Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. Jan, it is the front brake.  I wrote
Mitch at MAP and BQ. Theo (from BQ for those who don't know) and Mitch both
answered me very quickly. Mitch was kind enough to file a set of washers for me
and he just sent them today with my decaleur (just back from being chromed) and
Berthoud handlebar bag. But before installing them I'm going to try riding in
the rain with some good hard braking. I'll post here with what works. Also, I
just want to say how great it is to do business with folks like Mitch, BQ and
Rivendell.