The day before a brevet I either take it really slow or "cheat" and drive
part way.

As "Utah" notes, you have a really long commute.  Your "1/2" commutes are
not much less than my full commute.  I'm not sure that I could commute
every day doing your full commute.

I've cycle-commuted either to or from work every day since the end of 2003
(except a few weeks after Snowmageddon in 2010), mainly because I like it
but partly because driving into downtown increases my stress level while
cycling in decreases my stress level, and I found that I kept getting colds
when I took the metro.  Once you have it set in mind that that's how you're
going to get to work, then there are days where you feel energetic and days
where you feel draggy, but regardless you just get on your bike and ride
in.  I figure humans evolved to do a couple of hours of manual work a day
so there's no reason I can't do it.

Nick